Find out about child care programs and licensing
A community care facilities licence is required for all programs and facilities providing care to three or more children who are not related to the operator by blood or marriage.
Types of child care programs
- Group child care (under 36 months)
- Group child care (30 months to school age)
- Preschool (30 months to school age): Up to 4 hours of care per day to children who are at least 30 months old on entrance to the program and 36 months old by December 31 of the year of entrance.
- Group child care (school age): Care before or after school or during periods of school closure to children who attend school, including kindergarten.
- Family child care: Care for up to 7 children in the licensee’s personal home and where the licensee personally provides the care.
- Occasional care: No more than 40 hours in a month to children who are at least 18 months old.
- Multi-age child care: Care to 8 children of various ages.
- In-home multi-age care: Care for up to 8 children in the licensee’s personal home and where the licensee personally provides the care.
- Child-minding: Care which services are provided by a person who, under contract to the government, operates a program that provides services to immigrants in respect of English as a Second Language, settlement or labour market integration, to children younger than 13 years of age.
Applying for a licence?
Visit our Applying for a Licence section for more information.
Visit our Inspection Reports section for details.
Have a complaint or concern?
If you have a health and safety concern or complaint about a licensed child care facility, please contact Licensing Direct.
| Phone :
8:30am - 4:30pm PST, weekdays excluding statutory holidays
| Email :
||Contact us by email|
| Fax :
| Mail :
||1340 Ellis Street|
Read more about Incident Reporting.
News and featured information
Licensee newsletters, alerts and information about current issues.
- Are you a child care licensee? Visit our Resources for Licensees section for packages, regulations, standards of practice and other information vital to your facility.