Decrease FontIncrease FontPrintPrint

Find out who's eligible for assisted living

Eligibility is determined by the Home and Community Care Case Manager.

To be eligible, you must:

  • require personal assistance and supportive services
  • be able to make decisions on your own behalf, or live with a spouse who can make decisions on your behalf
  • be at risk in your current home
  • be able to function safely in assisted living
  • meet eligibility criteria for Home and Community Care services

Eligibility criteria

You may be eligible for Home & Community Care Assisted Living Services if you*:

  • are a citizen of Canada
  • are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence, or
  • have applied for permanent resident status, and as a result have been issued a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) by the federal minister responsible for immigration, if issuance of the TRP has been recommended by the committee established by the minister responsible for the Medicare Protection Act to review the admissibility of individuals on medical grounds.
  • have a chronic condition that affects your ability to function independently; you require care following hospital discharge; you require care at home rather than hospitalization and/or you require end of life care
  • are 19 of age or older
  • have lived in B.C. for ninety (90) days or longer

*For information on exceptions to eligibility criteria, contact your local Home and Community Care office.

MoH     PCQO