Work Permits and Permanent Resident Visa
Decrease FontIncrease FontPrintPrint

Your steps to come and work in Canada

Permanent Resident Visa

The British Columbia’s Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) provides an expedited process for International Candidates who wish to obtain permanent residency in Canada.

Work Permit

International Candidates who wish to work in Canada will require a work permit. A Labour Market Opinion (LMO) must be conducted before Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will issue a Work Permit (WP).

NAFTA Work Permit

Under NAFTA, specific professionals looking to work temporarily in Canada from the United States and Mexico do not need to have a Labour Market Opinion performed in order to obtain a Work Permit. The international applicant must work in one of the more than 60 professions listed in the NAFTA Professions List.  Read more about NAFTA Work Permit.

Post Graduate Work Permit

The Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) process is for international students graduating from Canadian educational institutions who wish to gain related work experience in Canada. Work Permits (WP) are issued after graduation for the length of the study program or up to a maximum of 3 years.

Off-Campus Work Permit

The Off-Campus Work Permit (OCWP) process is for certain foreign students to work off campus while completing their studies. To qualify, you must be a full-time student enrolled at a participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.

Open/Spousal Work Permit

If you are authorized to work in Canada, your accompanying family members may also be able to work here by virtue of the permit you are issued. No other authorization is required.  Learn more about the Open/Spousal Work Permit.

Work Permit Extension

Starting April 1, 2011, a Foreign Worker is able to work in Canada for a maximum period of 4 years. This means your 4-year clock starts ticking as of April 1, 2011.  Learn more about the Work Permit Extension.