Onsite Sewerage Systems
Decrease FontIncrease FontPrintPrint

​Any home or building that is not connected to a community sewer system needs a method for getting rid of human waste. All buildings with indoor plumbing must have a sewerage system in compliance with the BC Sewerage System Regulation. Some buildings, usually in rural settings with no running water, may use an outhouse or privy.

Online Sewerage Registry

We’ve developed a brand new online registration process that will allow Authorized Persons to submit records of sewerage systems, letter of certification and additional documentation to Interior Health. This streamlined and efficient system will allow Authorized Persons to track their submission throughout the process and submit their payments online. 

Testing of the new application is underway (see training guide) and we hope to have the system available for use shortly.

Locate a sewage record

Sewerage records are being digitized as part of an online sewerage registry project. This may cause delays in the retrieval of records. Your patience is appreciated.

  1. Complete the Sewerage File Information Request Form
  2. Provide the form to your local Population Health Operations office to initiate a search 
  3. The local office will contact you to collect the non-refundable fee

Please note: we cannot guarantee a record will be located or an accurate diagram of the system is included in the record. If no information is available, either the original paperwork is very old, could not be filed due to incorrect information or the sewage system was constructed/repaired without proper authorization.

Construct and/or repair a sewerage (septic) system

  1. Find an Authorized Person. An Authorized Person (AP) are the only people authorized to design, install, repair, maintain and/or inspect sewerage systems as per BC Sewerage System Regulation.
  2. Site Assessment – an Authorized Person gathers necessary information about the subject property and building(s) which could include digging test holes and inspecting existing systems.
  3. Submit and pay for Record of Sewerage System (RSS) – an Authorized Person, before construction, submits the Record of Sewerage form and makes payment to Interior Health.  
  4. Submit Sewerage System Letter of Certification – an Authorized Person submits a Letter of Certification, within 30 days of completing construction, to Interior Health.

Please submit all forms to Healthy Built Environment.

Apply for a sewerage holding tank permit

A holding tank is not considered a sustainable method for sewage management but can be considered as a temporary measure or in situations where other systems would result in a health hazard.  For a holding tank to be in compliance with the BC Sewerage System Regulation an Environmental Health Officer must issue a permit.  Plans and specifications are to be prepared by an Authorized Person. 

Payment for a holding tank permit is non-refundable.  We recommend prior to making any payment, contacting our HBE Team to review your proposal. 

Request a release of a covenant

Payment for a Release of Covenant application is non-refundable.  We recommend prior to making any payment, contacting our HBE Team to review your proposal. 




MoH     PCQO