Choice in Supports for Independent Living
Decrease FontIncrease FontPrintPrint

Get funding to purchase and manage home support services

Choice in Supports for Independent Living (CSIL) is a provincial program that provides an alternative for eligible home support clients. CSIL was developed to give British Columbians with disabilities and high-intensity care needs more flexibility in managing their home support services. Learn more about the CSIL program.

What services are available?

CSIL is a "self-managed model of care", which means you receive funds from Interior Health to become an employer and directly purchase your own home support services. As a CSIL employer, you would assume full responsibility for the management, co-ordination and financial accountability of your personal care services, including recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling and supervising home support workers. 

Who is eligible for CSIL?

To be eligible for CSIL, you must:

  • live in the community (not assisted living or residential care)
  • have a disability and high-intensity care needs
  • require significant daily personal assistance (e.g., bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, mobilizing)
  • have the ability to direct all aspects of your own care or have a client support group to do so on your behalf or have an individual designated as your representative through a valid Representation Agreement, and
  • have demonstrated the ability to manage your care services 

Is there a cost?

There is no cost to inquire about the CSIL program or for a case manager to visit you. If you are eligible for CSIL, a financial assessment will be completed to determine what, if any, your monthly contribution to the CSIL fund will be. Your contribution is calculated when you provide financial information from lines 236 and 435 of your last year’s tax assessment to the home and community health care professional who visits you.  

How do I access this service?

If you are interested and believe you are eligible for CSIL, please call your local Home and Community Care Office (add hyperlink to pdf-below) and a home health professional will provide you with additional information and discuss the options that may assist you. 

MoH     PCQO