Your Personal Information
Decrease FontIncrease FontPrintPrint

We use and share your personal information only as authorized by law

Personal information is any information that identifies who you are, including your legal name, address, phone number, personal health number (PHN) any other identifying information such as your health information.

Who can access my personal information?

Only authorized individuals who "need to know" your information in order to provide care and other care-related services, may access your personal information.  They may use and share it for the following purposes:

  • To provide ongoing care and services which you may need to receive
  • To maintain contact with you about your health care
  • To gather information from family, friends and other organizations (e.g. copies of records, medication information or test results)
  • To confirm your identity and personal health number with the Ministry of Health Services
  • To determine your eligibility for benefits and services and for billing and payment purposes
  • To help us plan, maintain, evaluate and improve our care and services
  • To enable the Ministry of Health Services and the Ministry of Healthy Living and Sport to conduct
    planning, performance measurement, funding and research activities
  • To conduct research (as permitted by legislation and/or approved by our Research Ethics Board)
  • Teaching and education (e.g. training medical students)

Your personal information may also be disclosed to other authorized individuals as required by law (e.g. to respond to a court order).

How does eHealth impact my personal information?

eHealth is a progressive health care initiative using information technology to provide the best possible care.  eHealth will combine lab test results, diagnostic scans, medication history and electronic prescriptions in an electronic health record accessible to health professionals. Health information is stored in data repositories and is available across health authority boundaries through the electronic health record.  Innovative and effective legislation (the E-Health Act) has been put in place to provide an additional level of privacy, building on the protection already offered by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Personal Information Protection Act.

A disclosure directive service is also available to mask your information. This will limit anyone you’ve not given explicit authority via a password from viewing your information. In the case of an emergency, those health professionals who are working in urgent / emergent care settings may be able to override your keyword if deemed necessary. For more information about eHealth and disclosure directives please visit the eHealth website.

What if I don’t want others to know I am in one of your facilities?

If you are a patient in the hospital or long-term care, it is standard practice to provide people who phone and ask about you with information confirming your admission and location. If you do not wish us to release this information, please inform a staff member within Patient Registration or within your care area.

Who can I contact if I have concerns or questions related to my personal information?

The Information Privacy & Security office exists to oversee the information and privacy practices of Interior Health and ensure they are in compliance with policies, as well as the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.  You may contact our office by phone (toll free) at 1-855-980-5020 or email us.  To protect your privacy, please refrain from providing personal health information or any other sensitive information via email.

Refer to our Privacy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for more information.

Please note that Information Privacy & Security does NOT manage release of information requests and will not respond to any inquiries related to obtaining health or corporate records. View more information on how to submit a request to access your health records. For more information on how to submit a request to access corporate records please visit Request Corporate Records.

MoH     PCQO