What you can do as an educator
Educators play an important role in preventing substances-related harms, including those associated with using tobacco and vaping. The best way to approach the subject is by using a holistic approach.
Schools can use the Comprehensive School Health Framework, an effective and well-established model for informing action on school health matters, and evidence-based strategies including prevention, harm reduction, equity and promoting stigma reduction.
Providing the school community, including students, with real facts in a supportive way and offering a non-judgmental approach is key.
Our team can support your school district address tobacco and vaping. Here are some of the things we can provide consultation and resources for:
- Reviewing or implementing a tobacco and vape free policy
- Reviewing or implementing a tobacco and vaping prevention strategy
- Connection to community resources
- Teaching resources
- Pro-D opportunities for staff
- How to comply with the Tobacco and Vapour Products Control Act and Regulation
Contact us by email to connect with a regional Legal Substances Reduction Coordinator for more information.